Islamabad, (IINA) - At least 15 Afghan soldiers were killed when Taliban fighters attacked their army base in the southern province of Kandahar, the defense ministry said Friday, in the second such assault this week.
The Taliban launched a coordinated assault on an army base last night in Shah Wali Kot district of Kandahar province, ministry spokesman Dawlat Waziri told AFP. A provincial official gave a higher death toll of 20.
Earlier on Tuesday, at least 10 Afghan soldiers have been killed and as many others wounded in an attack by Taliban that targeted a military base in Kandahar's Arghandab district.
The attacks came at a time when Taliban announced their spring offensive last month against the security forces across Afghanistan.
The United States and several NATO allies are considering sending thousands more troops to break the stalemate against the resurgent militants.
Source: International Islamic News Agency